Know the Laws

Indiana alcohol laws to know

Knowing the law is a key part of adulting, especially when alcohol is involved. Because drinking can cloud your judgment and make you do things you might regret later, it’s important to know the laws before you drink. You should also be aware of university and campus policies, to avoid losing scholarships or being expelled.

Illustration of two penguins talking on a tin can telephone

Indiana Lifeline Law

The Indiana Lifeline Law provides immunity for the crimes of public intoxication and minor possession, consumption, and transportation of alcohol to people who reveal themselves to law enforcement while reporting a medical emergency, reporting being the victim of a sexual offense, or witnessing and reporting what the person believes to be a crime.

Read more about the Indiana Lifeline Law

Hosting parties

Even if you host a chill party with a few beers, you could be at risk of breaking some serious alcohol laws. As the party host, you’re also liable for anything that goes wrong, including damages, injuries, alcohol poisoning, and other incidents that feel beyond your control at the time.

Sale to minors (IC 7.1-5-7-8)

It’s illegal to sell or give alcohol to minors. The charge is worse if you have broken an alcohol law previously, and it becomes a felony if the alcohol you provide causes anyone to get injured or die.

It’s also illegal to knowingly provide a place for minors to drink alcohol, whether or not you were the one to provide the alcohol.

Sale without permit (IC 7.1-5-10-5)

It’s illegal to sell alcohol without a permit. This includes charging cover fees at parties, accepting donations in exchange for alcohol, charging for keg cups, hosting a cash bar, or otherwise charging for drinks. Temporary beer/wine permits are available through the Indiana Alcohol & Tobacco Commission for $50.

Unauthorized dealings (IC 7.1-5-10-3)

It’s illegal to give away, furnish, sell, barter, or provide an alcohol beverage to a person other than an invited guest or member of his or her family. Guests are individually invited and do not include open house party attendees. You can obtain a temporary beer/wine permit for $50.

Sales to habitual drunkards (IC 7.1-5-10-14)

Even if you have a temporary beer/wine permit, it is unlawful to sell or provide alcohol to someone known to be a “habitual drunkard.”

Possession of keg without identification marker or with altered marker (IC 7.1-3-6.5-6)

It’s illegal to possess a beer keg without a valid identification marker.

Visiting or maintaining a common nuisance (IC 35-48-4-13)

It’s illegal to knowingly visit a building or vehicle that houses illegal drug activity. It’s a felony to maintain a building or vehicle that is used in the manufacture, storage, sale, delivery, or financing of illegal drugs or paraphernalia.

University alcohol and drug policies

The Code of Student Rights, Responsibilities, and Conduct outlines the alcohol and drug policies that students are expected to follow. The university absolutely prohibits the unlawful manufacture, distribution, dispensation, possession or use of a controlled substance and alcohol on university property or in the course of a university activity.

The university prohibits providing alcohol contrary to law. The university prohibits public intoxication, use or possession of alcoholic beverages on university property except at specifically authorized events.

Violating these policies can result in suspension, probation, or other forms of disciplinary action. IUPUI also has conduct policies for: